Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Things Are Not Always What They Appear

"Judge not, lest ye be judged..." is one most important and probably best known of the many quotes from the Bible. Yet, apparently in our modern day American culture; judging others has almost become an institutionalized form of behaving.

Judging other people's morals, lifestyles, behaviour, and so forth has become the norm. In reality, things are not always what they appear. Giving our family, neighbors and friends the benefit of the doubt has become the exception, rather than the rule.

Taking care of my father, Jesus, has greatly enlightened me as to how other people can be extremely judgemental. For example, most of my aunts on my father's side of the family (he has seven sisters) are in extreme denial as to his Alzheimer's situation. Some deny that he has it at all. They think this regardless of all of the medical evaluations that he has had during the course of these past eighteen months.

Funny enough, they all profess to be serious Catholics, yet rather than demonstrating compassion towards me as his caregiver, they demonstrate devout sarcasm. They judge me for how I take care of my Pop.

I find this most ironic since very few of them have actually found it in their hearts to find the time to visit us to see how we live and how I actually do take care of him. Instead they base their "judgements" on hearsay and innuendo.

Oh yes, they are very, very Catholic. After all, anyone can read the Bible and do the Rosary, yet it takes more; it takes having respect for others, it takes having a bit of compassion and it takes treating people with the dignity that we all deserve. It is said, actions speak louder than words.

Moreover, I have always tried to please my aunts in many diverse ways. Obviously, no one is perfect. Yet, aging and bitterness are no excuse for not actually practicing Catholic virtues; especially if you profess to be a "practicing Catholic" (see the irony).

Please note that some of my aunts have been very supportive, but most have not.

No comments: