Monday, July 20, 2009

Such is Life

I have not written much in my blog about taking care of my Pop recently, because, well, I have been taking care of my Pop. His disease has progressed quite seriously in past few weeks, allowing me for very little time to write in my blog. Moreover, I am exhausted by the time he goes to bed.
Don't get me wrong- physically, he is doing great. His appetite is good, he looks as handsome as ever, but his problems with memory and his balance are getting noticeably worse. He has started doing things like trying to brush his teeth with shaving cream instead of toothpaste, or putting away dirty dishes with the clean ones, or getting up in the middle of the night and trying to go outside.
I have to be with him, or at least close to him, in order to avoid any potential mishaps.
His depth perception (when climbing stairs) is terrible. I guess, that, in other words, his overall abilities are now much more impacted by his dementia, by his Alzheimer's.
A fact which was confirmed by his new doctor very recently. Fortunately, this new doctor appears to be much more proactive, rather than reactive, when it comes to controlling his situation. We are starting some new meds and some new exercises that will hopefully help.
I feel, like a bit overwhelmed at times; it is getting harder and harder to watch over him without becoming totally overbearing. I now have to help him with his bathing; and just a week ago, I commenced putting him in adult diapers (at nighttime) after a few "accidents" --- a fact which he has accepted better than I thought that he would have.
I should have been better prepared to deal with this overall decline in his situation, but I just thought that we were doing so well. I did NOT think that this diminishment of capacity would come so quickly.
I guess that I will continue to roll with the punches, but I do not wish this situation on anybody; it truly drains your energy in a very fickle way. Essentially, I am a prisoner without my own life to live. Yet, when I see him smile, when I see him happy and comfortable being in his own home; when he tells me that he loves me at bedtime - well as corny as it may sound, it makes all of my efforts well worthwhile. He is my father and I promise to continue taking care of him as long as I am able to do so.

1 comment:

no1daughteroflewydad said...

Hi Ricardo,

My heart goes out to you.

About a month ago I too had to start to put my Dad in night nappies. He too didn't make a fuss about it he was actually more concerned about me and all the extra washing he was making.
They are our Dad's and I understand how you feel.
Sending you big hugs.