Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday & Uncle A's Birthday

I took my pop to the eight o'clock mass this morning for Ash Wednesday. He looked very happy, dressed super-sharp and enjoying visiting with some of his friends. After receiving his ashes, we headed out to the Chinese bakery to buy a birthday cake for my uncle Alfredo (my dad's little brother) who turns 71-years-young today. Uncle Alfredo is staying at my grandmother's house; so both of them were happily surprised to receive us as we sang "Happy Birthday" to my uncle. My grandmother is 103 years young and still kicking. She actually sang "Las MaƱanitas" (the Mexican birthday song) to her son with a glow of happiness throughout her face.
I left my dad there to spend some quality time with his mom and brother. Some day I will relate the story of when my grandmother and her sisters fed Pancho Villa and his troops on her family's ranch during the height of the Mexican Revolution.
But, today is the start of Lent for Catholics. Lent is a period of individual reflection whereby we are to focus on three steps: 1. Prayer, 2. Fasting, and 3. Charity. Nice steps, if you can carry them out. Yet, I think we got off to a nice and happy start.
Moreover, my grandmother, my father and, my uncle were very elated this morning. And that makes it all worth the effort.

1 comment:

no1daughteroflewydad said...

Hello Ricardo,

Sounds like you and your Dad and family had a great 'Ash Wednesday' and i send birtday wishes to your Uncle A. Wonderful to read you and your Dad are having great days.

lots of best wishes