Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It Is Progressing

Unfortunately, my father's symptoms of AD are increasing. I now have to assist him in more ways than before. It is more difficult for him to shower, to dress himself, to brush his teeth. I discovered that he was brushing without the toothpaste; so now I have to be there more than not, but I have to balance being there for him without being overbearing. That is a difficult task.
The one thing that still amazes me is how everyone tells me, "Oh your father looks great." "He is just getting older." "You are overreacting."
Sometimes I feel like just crying out: "Why don't you live with him and then tell me what you observe."
Look, I am very fortunate that my father is doing just great physically; he has a great sense of humor and he is a snappy dresser. Nevertheless, he has AD; which can affect his memory, his balance and his overall judgement.
AD is a terrible disease, and most people do not realize the symptoms nor just how seriously it impacts the patient as well as the family.

2 comments:

Doña Junta said...

sorry to hear the progression, but you are very strong and patient keeping up with him, even though it must stress you out tremendously.

no1daughteroflewydad said...

Hi Ricardo,

I feel for you. It's awful to see someone you love lose tasks that we take for granted. It also tests ones patience, when you haven't recieved enough sleep, You are doing a truly amazing job.
Can you ask a family member to help you have some time out. It's most important so you can remain...sane and a great carer.

cheers from australia