Saturday, November 10, 2007

Blowing in the Wind

I don't get it. My dad is well mannered, very considerate to others beyond normal expectations. Yet, he has this habit of blowing his nose at the dinner table. I don't mean a gentle quiet blowing of the nose, but rather a louder-than-a-trumpet (Al Hirt style) blowing of the nose. I don't see others do this often, but when I do it usually is someone around my father's age or above. It must have been socially acceptable in the forties, fifties and so forth to blow your nose at the table. I must make a note to myself to research this further; because it certainly does get on my nerves. Other than that his table manners are impeccable.

3 comments:

* Diana * said...

Hi Ricardo,

Your blog has given me some much needed chuckles.
My Dad has AD and currently resides in an AD care facility. I cared for him briefly at home. At the same time however my Mom had Ovarian cancer and was going through alot of chemo. Dad became a full lift, and was extremely demanding, even of Mom. Consequently he needed to be placed. Mom passed in 2005.

I am now full time caregiver for my husband who has moderate stage AD. We have two adult children and 2 kids still in high school. I too started a blog this month with some empahsis on AD and its impact on spousal relationships and some parenting issues.

Blowing in the wind cracked me up. YUK is right. My father became quite crude, NO inhibitions whatsoever in public, and it drove me nuts. As my husband progresses I see this "Once upon a time" Neat Freak, Clean, Social person becoming very much the opposite.

Your blog is a delight with the way you keep the Alzheimer journey light hearted.

http://www.forbetterorworse-insickness.blogspot.com/

Ricardo Gomez-Roji said...

Diana:

You are my first comment at my site and what a truthful delight! Someimes, I think that I am writing just to myself. So first of all; thank you very much for you comments.

I am very sorry for the situation with your husband. I cannot imagine what that must be like. My situation, with my father is somewhat different. He is my pop. However, I cannot imagine what it must be like with a spouse; all the power to you.

The biggest enemy I have is not getting angry with my pop. In a logical manner, I know that it is not him, but, I miss my real pop.

Thank you or visiting my blog, I hope that you will do it again. And, GOD bless you for taking care of HIM.

Best Regards,

Ric

Anonymous said...

Ricky, he just takes after Abuelito. Does he use a hankerchief too? If not, that's a plus.