Thursday, November 8, 2007

Where Shall I Begin?

My father Jesus is a 79-year-old Korean vet who was born in Santa Monica, California on February 3rd in 1928. He has had some symptoms of Dementia and/or Alzheimer's Disease for last couple of years. Tragically, after a lengthy bout with breast cancer my mother, Blanca passed away this past August 6th (2007).

I think that my mother's passing has accelerated the progression of my father's own disease. I quit my job in Palm Desert and moved back to San Diego to take care of my pop. It has been a major transition for the two of us.

Just imagine after sharing your bed with your wife of 55-years, you must now sleep alone. Your breakfast chats with the love of your life, have been replaced with normal talks with your 52-year old son. Your entire routine has been changed. The rug has quite literally been pulled right under your feet.

At first, this was what my father apparently felt like, but as time has passed - we have both slowly begun to adjust to a new routine. We still have our frustrations, but I am happy to say that we share more laughs than tears. My mom's death was a shock to the two of us; it is still very difficult in many, many regards.

Nevertheless, we shall both continue this journey and with the grace of GOD have more good times than bad. More details of this journey to follow.

No comments: