Thursday, November 8, 2007

My Mother, My Father, Myself


As I stated in an earlier post, my mother, Blanca passed away earlier this year. And there is not a day that goes by that my father and I do not think about her. After spending three months between hospitals, specialized clinics and finally the San Diego Hospice, 2007 has been a year of loss in many regards.

I've lost my mother, the ability to communicate (as I used to) with my father, my friends in Palm Desert, my dog (he ran away) and to a certain degree, I've lost my freedom. My day begins early, after the coffee is made and I do my rounds of opening windows, checking on the dogs, picking up the newspaper from the front yard, I check on my pop. By that time he is up making his bed (in his own special way). He insists on making his own bed which I consider his a.m. therapy. After he brushes his teeth and does his business he starts his day in the living room with a banana and a glass of grape juice while at the same time switching TV channels between Univision and the KTLA morning show. Afterwards, he does his low impact aerobics (which still makes me crack-up on a daily basis). I will be sure to give a full description of his workout at a later date.

After two cups of freshly brewed coffee, and a shave, we settle down for a light breakfast (of course the term light is not known among most of us of Mexican descent). I usually prepare breakfast; and I try to make his favorites. I do have a housekeeper who comes in three times a week; and usually she will prepare meals on those days.
Outside of this morning routine, the rest of the day has no set routine. Every day is an adventure. The trouble with Jesus is a work in progress, and we are still in the development process.
(Pictured left to right: Mama Blanca, son Ricardo and Papa Jesus on 9-17-06 at the J-Street Marina in Chula Vista, CA)


1 comment:

Chesend said...

Cuando mi madre se enfermo vivi una serie de cosas increibles, tengo tantos recuerdos (de todos los sabores) pero estoy completamente segura que todo lo que hice por ella en esos meses fue lo que hizo que me diera de todo lo que ella alguna vez hizo por mi... me dedique a Rosa y no me arrepiento...

Las cosas a veces son dificiles, no encuentras cuando se va a terminar tanto cambio, tanto sentimiento encontrado, pero como sea se nos ha dado la oportunidad de disfrutarlos mas intensamente, tal vez porque estamos consientes de que vamos contrareloj...

Me dio gusto que dejaras tu comentario en tu paso por mi blog... (a veces yo tambien siento que escribo al viento, sin espectadores)...