Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Junky Junk Mail from Non-Profits Piss Me Off!

What is it with an endless array of non-profit organizations that continuously solicit donations from senior citizens on fixed incomes? Some of these organizations are worse and more persistent than the homeless beggars one finds on city streets.

My father receives solicitations from these groups on a daily basis. Some weeks we receive literally more than a dozen requests for donations daily. And these folks are smart, they give you personalized address labels, yearly calendars, certificates of appreciation and more. You receive these gifts BEFORE you have made a donation. My father always feels obligated to give something in return for the nice gifts. Why don't these organizations limit the gifts only to actual contributors and use the money saved for their respective non-profit efforts?

Or some solicitors use envelopes or packaging on their mailings that resemble official government documents. I have to explain to my pop on a daily basis that he is under no obligation to donate anything whatsoever.

Nevertheless, my father has a long history of donating to several veteran's groups, to which he has given a priority in the past. Yet, some of these same groups use a sort of guilt-factor against the very seniors that have given so much to this country in past. Isn't it time to have a "DO NOT MAIL TO SENIORS LIST" to leave our seniors alone and in Peace?

Any time that my dad cannot finish the food on his plate, he informs me: "Enough is enough." In this way he informs me that he has finished eating. I say it is time for some sort of federal regulation saying leave our senior citizens alone with the gimmickry solicitations for funds. Tacky thieves apparently have no scruples when it comes to stealing from seniors. I say: "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ricky (you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky)....
Anyways, I stopped by your blog because Ginny sent me a link that Juli had sent her, and I was just going to check it out briefly--but I was hooked and read all of the entries. Add me to your email list! Hang in there, you and your dad are the latest entrants into the epidemic that has just begun; we will all become our parents keepers. Keep up the blogging. And tell Uncle Chuy that he is the BOMB! Love that guy; he is truly one in a million! Stay the course....your cuz Angie. angieos@cox.net

Anonymous said...

You struck a chord with me at this post! My Mom still received cards, letters, requests and PHONE calls from her "donation friends" all waiting for the check that they all feel entitled too! They keep asking her to "UP" her donation from LAST TIME - Which pisses ME off wondering how much they've really gotten from her!