Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend Comes to an End

This was the first Thanksgiving holiday/reunion without my mom and we missed her dearly. My family came to the rescue with the brunt of the cooking responsibility falling to Aunt Hortensia. The dinner was still held at my parent's house to keep with family tradition; moreover, I cooked my first turkey. I used a JalapeƱo-garlic butter rub and apparently, it turned out just fine because there was hardly any left at the end of the night. My dad, Jesus seemed very happy with all of the commotion, he certainly enjoyed the company. Surfer cousin Danny and his girlfriend Meagan brought wine and delicious cheese trays. Uncle Lou and Aunt Elsa came almost straight from the airport having spent the last couple of weeks with their daughter (my cuz) and her husband Jon and son Louis in Virginia.

After dinner we all headed outside to hear cousin Javier play some outstanding tunes on his guitar, everything from Flamenco to the Beatles to more. Of course, we all joined in; as best as possible. You can check out Javier's band at www.thebajabugs.com. Friend Enrique came down from the OC and friend Joey called from Boston (unable to join us this year).

Most importantly, I swear I could feel my mom's presence, truly she was around. Enough therapy, more funky posts to follow...

No comments: